The number #1 natural hazard in the US are floods, and they occur nationwide. Even though it is affordable, few Americans have this kind of insurance. The sad fact is that homeowners insurance does not cover damage from floods. 3/4 of the homes in the most likely areas to experience flooding do not have coverage, according to the Federal Insurance Administration (FIA). And over the course of 30 years, those homes are 26 times more likely to experience a flood than a fire.
Coverage is available for homeowners, renters, business owners, and condominium associations and owners.
Homeowners can get up to $250,000 of building coverage and $100,000 of contents coverage.
Businesses can insure up to $500,000 of building coverage and up to $500,000 of contents coverage.
Under the Residential Condominium Building Association Policy, associations can buy flood insurance coverage up to $250,000 times the number of units. It is recommended that individual residents then buy contents coverage separately-up to $100,000.
Renters can purchase up to $100,000 of contents coverage flood insurance.
On most polices, there is a 30-day waiting period before the policy takes effect. Certain exceptions include when the insurance is demanded by a lender in making a loan or if a mortgage review determines that a building is in a high flood
Inexpensive Ways to Protect Your Property from Flood Damage (from FEMA National Flood Insurance guide)
- If your basement is likely to flood, move valuable items and appliances out of that area.
- Clean drains and gutters to allow free flow of water.
- Store photos and important documents in a safe, high dry place.
- Have a family disaster plan, including evacuation plans to a high area. Be sure everyone in the family knows a long-distance number to call to help communicate with each other. An out of state relative is a good choice.
- Always have an emergency kit in your car that includes food, first aid kit, flashlight, blankets, water, and a battery-operated radio.
Your Strategic Insurance Solutions representative can make recommendations to you as to what kind of flood insurance policy is right for your needs.